Crease Pattern Challenge, Origami

For this set of models, I wanted to start with something very simple that kids could make and then add details to this model to make it more complex. So this is a pteranodon in development stages.

The simplest version (below in green) still has the right look but could clearly have improved details. The most obvious improvement would be the head needing a back fin. The legs are also a bit simple. I had quite a few leg variations; these are the easiest legs to make. I mostly lucked out on the chest section being clearly delineated (which is one of the best aspects of this model).



The middle version (in orange) has those improvements and a few more. The head has the back fin, and the legs and tail are a little more complex. Also, the neck is thinned by sinks on the sides, and the parts of the wings that come out from the chest are narrowed. I think this is more recognizable as a pteranodon, but it can no longer stand up like the previous model. This is because the paper reserved for the head causes extra area at the bottom of the wings.



The final model’s main aspect is the addition of claws, but it also attempts to improve the head and leg structure. There was a lot of trial and error. I initially came up with wing claws basically out of nowhere but eventually realized I could follow those claws down to the feet and sort of hide the line between them in the wings using sinks. The new claw structure causes extra paper area in the head and tail sections. The head uses this for the back fin, while the extra tail is folded in and hidden.





I’m going to diagram up the first two at least.

Crease Pattern Challenge 015

Crease Pattern Challenge, Origami

Origami Tanteidan’s 15th Crease Pattern Challenge in issue #69 is Satoshi Kamiya’s Archaeopteryx. It’s a fun model to fold, and another I like to make a lot. It does tend to be top heavy though (which is why its tail is pinned down in the pictures).


I mentioned before that Satoshi Kamiya has a really nice website, but the Archaeopteryx isn’t in his gallery (it’s only found buried in his bibliography page). I’m pretty sure this is an oversight, but I kind of wonder if Origami Tanteidan has some sort of exclusive (they have a page for his archaeopteryx here).

He also has a page of random crease patterns. A fairly long time ago (back when his website looked completely different), I noticed something pretty cool about the patterns here. Some of them are already associated with models. If you use “Copy Image Location”, the web address you get is similar to his gallery pages, just with “_c.jpg” at the end of the model number. If you delete that part, some (not all) will lead you to the gallery page of the model. For instance, the first one is his Unicorn 2.0.

I also found that this can work both ways. For instance, his Caribus (2.1 and 2.2) have the crease patterns stored at his website. You can find them by going to those pages, deleting “.html”, and adding “_c” to the end of the address (you don’t need the “.jpg”, which is good, because some of the crease patterns are saved as pngs).

I tried the 2.2 Caribu a while ago. I had some problems with the face, but I think the hooves and antlers came out pretty good.

KAMIYA - CARIBU 2-2 (104) KAMIYA - CARIBU 2-2 (106) KAMIYA - CARIBU 2-2 (108) KAMIYA - CARIBU 2-2 (107)

I just recently tried the 2.1 Caribu, which also yielded odd results. I think I somehow flipped the head, or something. But there were parts I already liked that I had done, so I just improvised.

KAMIYA - CARIBU 2-1 (102) KAMIYA - CARIBU 2-1 (104) KAMIYA - CARIBU 2-1 (103) KAMIYA - CARIBU 2-1 (107) KAMIYA - CARIBU 2-1 (111) KAMIYA - CARIBU 2-1 (109)

He got a much dopier head and nose, then a bigger body because I liked how he had kind of cascading fur, and finally the hooves got axed as they would have shortened the legs too much with the bigger body.

Also, this web logging thing is pretty interesting. I just figured out the “set featured image” thing and went back doing that a bit. Yay! I still can’t get the pictures in this post to arrange well with the different dimensions. Oh well.




Origami, Original Designs

It’s a mouthful, huh? A rhamphorhynchus is a type of pterosaur, like a pteranodon, with a long tail and fairly long neck. If you think of a typical flying dinosaur, the rhamphorhynchus’s neck is about twice or three times as long as that one’s. So, it’s not like a flying giraffe, flailing through the air.

Calling it a dinosaur is incorrect (as is the term “flying dinosaur” above), but a lot of people group pterosaurs in a general, non-sciency term of dinosaurs. Hopefully, I’m not getting on anyone’s nerves when I do that. On the other hand, who puts that many silent h’s in a word?



I’m not the most consistent person (just look at my posts’ dates). Whenever I fold this, I tend to do something a bit different. The two above are earlier versions, and the green and black ones each have very different heads. I also thought the neck was a bit long and the body was small and/or undefined.





These three are more recent. Instead of making them uniform, I played up the individuality in the heads and made the wings unique also. It’s hard to see, but the new black model has swirl eyes similar to the previous black one. The lines in his wings also kind of cascade. The yellow one has eyes like the green one but a head like the black one. It also has more well-defined wings. The red one has peacockish wings and what turned out to be a muppet-like face. They all have shorter necks, which I used to define the separation between neck and body.