Crease Pattern Challenge #70 in OTM Issue 126 is a Spinosaurus by Fumiaki Kawahata.
Kawahata ranges from simple, cute models to very complex ones. This one is kind of both. It has toes, eyes, and the spine, but the most complicated thing in the crease pattern is the front toes.
The spine in particular has large unfolded sections, which end up making it look really good. The complexity is more in finding the lines on the spine.
Anybody notice the dragons in Game of Thrones are actually wyverns? When I was a kid, it seemed like most mythology books considered them different. Now, wyverns are just dragons with less steps. Maybe they made the terminology more fuzzy to be more realistic.
My Inscrutable Wyverns have a colour change in the face, kind of like that one pokemon. Also, there’s a range of face possibilities. The purple and yellow one has a face almost like a skull.
The Inscrutable Wyvern has odd wings, blocky feet, and a split tail. In case you’re wondering, the inscrutable part is from one specific step while making it.
Challenge 69 in Issue 125 is Hitoshi Kakami ‘s Leafy Sea Dragon. Kakami also has the website Calico’s Origami Aquarium, which I think I’ve mentioned before. He has a lot of great origami pokemon there. He also did the Coelacanth Crease Pattern Challenge.
This was interesting to fold. On my first run at it, I kept mixing up reference folds/points with folds/points I used to find them.
The thing is, in spite of what they tell you, many origami models will work out fine using really close points that aren’t exact. You may get some edges you’ll need to adjust, but it’s typically not a big problem.
This model is very exact. It’s hard to explain, but each fold’s angles strongly depend on the ones around it. This usually happens in smaller regions that can be shifted slightly around. In this one, basically any shifted line changes the whole thing drastically. It’s really neat.
I started to write this up when I first made it awhile ago, then went to something else and didn’t finish. Maybe I thought it was too odd.
This is one of my more obscure choices of model. In Terry Pratchett’s Diskworld Series of books, Death is a major character in a few of the books. In one book, Reaper Man, there are sub-deaths for specific living creatures. One of these is the Death of Rats, a tiny rat skeleton in a black cloak. I mean, he’s a normal sized skeleton for a rat. I just didn’t want you to think he was some human sized rat skeleton. All of the sub-deaths end up absorbed by Death except for the Death of Rats, who pops up in other books.
So I have a skeletal rat in a black shroud with a sickle. He has fingers on his non-sickle hand, and toes on both feet. He has a thumb on the hand with fingers. I realize rats don’t have thumbs, but how else is he supposed to hold his sickle?
I also tried to make the black show up at the tip of his nose to imply a nose hole and void space in the skull.
I made one of Satoshi Kamiya’s World Eater dragons awhile ago, from the crease pattern on his site. An interesting thing about this one is that quite a lot of the detailing on the neck and tail isn’t on the crease pattern. It’s pretty clear and easy to implement (although, I didn’t do it quite the same way).
Also notable: Kamiya’s World Eater looks imposing and maybe threatening. As usual, I’ve taken that and turned it into happy and maybe friendly.
I didn’t get the back spikes. I’m not sure why.
Issue 124’s challenge is Taiga Yamamoto’s Crowned Crane.
I like it. It’s most eye-catching feature is the crown. However, I actually like the tail feathers more. They really look and feel like a crane’s.
This is an odd one. Challenge #67 is a Steam Automobile by Morisue Kei. The crease pattern gives this:
And that’s as far as I went. This isn’t one of those I get annoyed at where it’s only made difficult because it’s in crease pattern. It seems like a crease pattern was the way to go, at least initially. This one needs something more to get it from the crease pattern to the finished model. Many of the lines in the finished model (like exactly where the wheels sink, the vertical and horizontal seat line locations, etc.) are not in the crease pattern and must be guessed at, meaning it’s not very consistent. It’s a good crease pattern (any more info would be a mess), but it needs something like additional diagrams to finish it.
I came up with a model I call “Grey Rabbit”. As you can see, it doesn’t have to be grey, that’s just the name. It is a rabbit though.
I decided to try and make diagrams for this one. I think they’re understandable, but I wrote them. So I’m hoping someone will fold one and show me what they got or let me know about something that’s not clear. The diagram images are bigger than I usually put on here, but hopefully they’ll still upload alright.
diagrams read right to left
I found a Phoenix 3.0 I made from the crease pattern on Satoshi Kamiya’s website, and it looks pretty good. I thought a Ryujin would go well with it. The only one I hadn’t made was the 3.1, so I thought I’d try that.
The 2.1 crease pattern is on his website, and the 3.5 is in the Super Complex book. I found the 3.1’s crease pattern on the internet. It seems to be off of a card from one of his exhibitions (he has cards under the model with the title and it sometimes has the crease pattern on it). So I’m not 100% sure about it, but it’s a lot like the 3.5 and was fun either way.
I think they look neat together.
Challenge #66 is Takashi Kanazawa’s Bambiraptor. Dinosaur origami is great, and this one has feathers to be more historically accurate. It’s a really good one; kind of reminds me of some of Satoshi Kamiya’s dinosaurs.
I had trouble getting pictures of this one right and later lost the first model. The first shot of the new one was odd too.
I used a wire to hold him up. Also, apparently people use methyl cellulose (used in bookbinding) to stiffen origami, and I tried that for the first time with this one.