I started to write this up when I first made it awhile ago, then went to something else and didn’t finish. Maybe I thought it was too odd.
This is one of my more obscure choices of model. In Terry Pratchett’s Diskworld Series of books, Death is a major character in a few of the books. In one book, Reaper Man, there are sub-deaths for specific living creatures. One of these is the Death of Rats, a tiny rat skeleton in a black cloak. I mean, he’s a normal sized skeleton for a rat. I just didn’t want you to think he was some human sized rat skeleton. All of the sub-deaths end up absorbed by Death except for the Death of Rats, who pops up in other books.
So I have a skeletal rat in a black shroud with a sickle. He has fingers on his non-sickle hand, and toes on both feet. He has a thumb on the hand with fingers. I realize rats don’t have thumbs, but how else is he supposed to hold his sickle?
I also tried to make the black show up at the tip of his nose to imply a nose hole and void space in the skull.
I made one of Satoshi Kamiya’s World Eater dragons awhile ago, from the crease pattern on his site. An interesting thing about this one is that quite a lot of the detailing on the neck and tail isn’t on the crease pattern. It’s pretty clear and easy to implement (although, I didn’t do it quite the same way).
Also notable: Kamiya’s World Eater looks imposing and maybe threatening. As usual, I’ve taken that and turned it into happy and maybe friendly.
I didn’t get the back spikes. I’m not sure why.
Issue 124’s challenge is Taiga Yamamoto’s Crowned Crane.
I like it. It’s most eye-catching feature is the crown. However, I actually like the tail feathers more. They really look and feel like a crane’s.
This is an odd one. Challenge #67 is a Steam Automobile by Morisue Kei. The crease pattern gives this:
And that’s as far as I went. This isn’t one of those I get annoyed at where it’s only made difficult because it’s in crease pattern. It seems like a crease pattern was the way to go, at least initially. This one needs something more to get it from the crease pattern to the finished model. Many of the lines in the finished model (like exactly where the wheels sink, the vertical and horizontal seat line locations, etc.) are not in the crease pattern and must be guessed at, meaning it’s not very consistent. It’s a good crease pattern (any more info would be a mess), but it needs something like additional diagrams to finish it.
I came up with a model I call “Grey Rabbit”. As you can see, it doesn’t have to be grey, that’s just the name. It is a rabbit though.
I decided to try and make diagrams for this one. I think they’re understandable, but I wrote them. So I’m hoping someone will fold one and show me what they got or let me know about something that’s not clear. The diagram images are bigger than I usually put on here, but hopefully they’ll still upload alright.
diagrams read right to left
I found a Phoenix 3.0 I made from the crease pattern on Satoshi Kamiya’s website, and it looks pretty good. I thought a Ryujin would go well with it. The only one I hadn’t made was the 3.1, so I thought I’d try that.
The 2.1 crease pattern is on his website, and the 3.5 is in the Super Complex book. I found the 3.1’s crease pattern on the internet. It seems to be off of a card from one of his exhibitions (he has cards under the model with the title and it sometimes has the crease pattern on it). So I’m not 100% sure about it, but it’s a lot like the 3.5 and was fun either way.
I think they look neat together.
Challenge #66 is Takashi Kanazawa’s Bambiraptor. Dinosaur origami is great, and this one has feathers to be more historically accurate. It’s a really good one; kind of reminds me of some of Satoshi Kamiya’s dinosaurs.
I had trouble getting pictures of this one right and later lost the first model. The first shot of the new one was odd too.
I used a wire to hold him up. Also, apparently people use methyl cellulose (used in bookbinding) to stiffen origami, and I tried that for the first time with this one.
Crease Pattern Challenge #65 in Origami Tanteidan Magazine Issue 121 is Naoki Takeda’s Tengu. This is probably my favourite Crease Pattern Challenge, at least so far. It’s sort of complex, but I’ve made it a few times.
Tengu are Japanese monster-demon-things that range from goblins to bird men (frequently crows). Probably the most common version is a man with a long nose (or even beak) with wings, like this one. But this model has a whole kimono, as well as fans, tengu geta, bushy eyebrows, and a beard.
There are a few things different in mine than the final model shown in Tanteidan. The head looks a bit different and the fans are squished and spread a bit earlier to give the impression of hands. These I don’t know if I could get to look that good with the size of paper I used. The end model has pleating in the wings. I guess I just like how the wings look without the pleats. Another thing I’m not sure about why are the flaps at the sides of the kimono. I’m not sure if I’m messing something up or like it that way when I make them.
Anyway, it’s an absolutely amazing model.
Challenge #64 is Jason Ku’s Bicycle v1.8. I feel like this is one of those more academic models, showing techniques for making wheels and bars that you might not think would be possible from a square of paper.
The bars that form a “V” lightly lock in to the lower horizontal bar, but they keep coming loose in mine. The most prominent feature is the wheels, but it has a seat, handlebars, pedals, and a kickstand.
I don’t really find a bicycle an “exciting” origami model, but it’s really fascinating that it can be made from a flat square without cutting it.